Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Division of Higher Education - Higher Education Commission

Edward R. MacKay
Division Director
(603) 271-0256

Higher Education Commission

College and University Regulation - (Londergan Hall, Room 102)
Contact: Patti Edes, (603) 271-0257,

  • Regulates colleges and universities that have a physical presence in NH. The colleges and universities are private, profit and non-profit.

Career School Licensing - (Londergan Hall, Room 113)
Contact: Kim Kenneally, (603) 271-6443,

  • Regulates/licenses private, postsecondary (i.e., post high school) career (i.e., job related) schools. Some examples include computer, massage therapy, health career/nursing, dog training, bartending, hazardous waste, midwifery, EMS, paramedic training, income tax preparing, modeling, etc.

Closed School Transcripts - (Londergan Hall, Room 101A)
Contact: Patricia Moquin, (603) 271-0289,

  • Provides transcripts to students who attended NH schools (colleges/universities/career schools) that are no longer in operation.

Financial Aid - (Londergan Hall, Room 101A)
Contact: Patricia Moquin, (603) 271-0289,

  • Scholarships for Orphans of Veterans
  • Receipt and collection of “unforgivable” loan repayments to the Workforce Incentive Program and the Paul Douglas Teacher Scholarship Program.
  • For information regarding other financial aid, please call Center for College Planning at 1-888-747-2382, Ext. 119

Research/Studies - (Londergan Hall, Room 101B)
Contact: Jan Fiderio, (603) 271-2695,

  • Collects Integrated Postsecondary Education Data Systems (IPEDS) information used by the US Department of Education to produce national reports and determine an institution’s eligibility to participate in Title IV funding.

Veterans Education Services - (Londergan Hall, Room 112)
Contact: James Margeson IV, (603) 271-8508,; Kerry Schmidt, (603) 271-7861,

  • Regulates/approves programs for eligible veterans and beneficiaries utilizing their GI Bill benefits. Includes approvals of:
    • College and University Programs
    • Career School Programs
    • Flight Training Programs
    • High School Diploma Programs
    • Correspondence School Programs
    • Apprenticeships and On-The-Job Training Programs
    • Medical Residency and Fellowship Programs
    • National Tests for College Credit and Admissions
    • Tests required for Licensing and/or Certification

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711