Applying for Chapter 33 Benefits
- Veterans should complete a VA Form 22-1990 or use VONAPP online application.
- Include direct deposit information.
- Attach copies of DD Form 214/215, NOBE (if you are currently under Chapter 1606), Call Up Orders, etc.
- Copies of College Fund Contracts/Kickers.
- Dependents who are applying to use educational benefits transferred to them should complete VA Form 22-1990E .
After the application is processed, the VA will send you a Certificate of Eligibility. Please provide a copy to the school’s certifying official in order for them to enroll you into the education program.
Factors to Consider When Electing Chapter 33 Benefits
- Which benefit pays veterans more?
- Are they receiving other aid?
- Will entitlement to that aid change?
- Are tuition & fees charged?
- What Chapter 33 tier are they eligible for?
- Will college funds/kickers and buy-up be impacted?
- What type of training?
- On-line/distance education?
- Is the type covered under Chapter 33?
- Rate of Pursuit: Is the veteran part-time?
- Will this impact benefits received?
- Will it impact the amount of benefit?
- Is delimiting date important to them?
- On active duty on August 1, 2009?
- Eligible for Transfer of Entitlement? Want to transfer?
- Does the veteran have remaining entitlement under other chapters Programs?
- Should they use that entitlement before using Post-9/11 GI Bill?
Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.