Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Frequently Asked Questions about High School Equivalency

Where can I take the HiSET tests?

The HiSET test is given at eighteen local testing centers in New Hampshire. Each one sets up its own testing schedule.

To find out where testing centers are located, call the High School Equivalency Testing Office at 603-271-6699 or look at the list: HiSET Testing Centers in New Hampshire

back to topDo I have to go to a HiSET class?

No. Some testing centers require that you pass a practice test before you sign up for the official HiSET, but there is no requirement that you attend classes. Some people may have the skills to do well on the HiSET without taking a class.

If you want to take some classes or work with a tutor to improve your skills, we can tell you where there are adult education classes. Call the Bureau of Adult Education at 603-271-6698 or look at the the section on Preparation for the High School EquivalencyTests.

Can I study on my own?

You can look at the HiSET website for more information on preparation and for some free practice tests You can find high school equivalency exam study books at most libraries and book stores.

Can I take the HiSET Tests on the internet?

NO! A New Hampshire Certificate of High School Equivalency cannot be obtained via the Internet or through correspondence programs. Please see the warning about GED internet testing. This is also true for the HiSET Tests. It may be taken on computer in some locations, but it must always be taken in person at an approved HiSET Testing Center.

How much does the HiSET cost?

As of Jan. 1, 2019, each subtest (English Language Arts, Reading, Social Studies, Science and Math) is $25. For test-takers who paid for a battery in 2016, consult your local testing center for information regarding your account balance.

Testing centers that give practice tests may have a separate fee for the practice test, usually $10 or $15.

back to topDo I have to be a resident of New Hampshire?

Yes, you must be a resident of New Hampshire to take HiSET Tests in New Hampshire and to receive a New Hampshire Certificate of High School Equivalency.

Do I have to be a citizen?

You do not have to be a citizen to take the HiSET Tests, but you must be a New Hampshire resident and have a government-issued photo ID.

How long does it take to get the results after a person takes the HiSET Tests?

If you take the HiSET Tests on paper, you will be able to see the results in about two weeks. If you take the HiSET Tests on computer, you will get results immediately except for the Writing Tests.

How old do you have to be to take the HiSET Tests?

According to New Hampshire rules, you have to be 18 years old. Some students may receive approval from their school districts to take HiSET Tests at the age of 16 or 17. See Information for Students Under the Age of 18.

I've been home schooled and I need to take the High School Equivalency Tests to be eligible for college. What can I do?

Home schooled students who are under 18 and who have passed HiSET Practice Tests and who wish to take HiSET Tests should see Information for Home Schooled Applicants to apply for HiSET testing. The Form must be signed by an official of the agency that has been notified of the student's home schooling.

back to topHow do I get a GED or a HiSET transcript?

We need to receive a written request from you, and there is a $10 fee. You can print a request form, fill it out, and mail it with a check or money order for $10 payable to State of New Hampshire to High School Equivalency Testing, NH Department of Education, Division of Adult Learning and Rehabilitation, 21 S. Fruit St., Suite 20, Concord, NH 03301. Your transcript request will be processed within two business days of receipt. You may print a High School Equivalency Transcript Request Form.Microsoft Word Symbol

Microsoft Word Symbol Microsoft Word format. You can download a free reader from Microsoft.

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711