Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

The Information Sheet for Serving Immigrants

New Hampshire Vocational Rehabilitation can only serve immigrants who can legally work in the United States.

These include those who

  • Are U.S. citizens and have a Social Security Number
  • Hold a Green Card (Permanent Resident Card)
  • Have an EAD (Employment Authorization Document)
  • Have a Visa
  • Are Refugees

Information about Documentation Other Than Social Security Number

Green Card (a.k.a. Permanent Resident Card)

Any person not a citizen of the United States who is residing in the U.S. under legally recognized and lawfully recorded permanent residence as an immigrant. Also known as "Permanent Resident Alien", "Lawful Permanent Resident," "Resident Alien Permit Holder," and "Green Card Holder." (definition from More info on permanent residence at

Definition (from A green card is a life-long visa ("pass") allowing a foreigner to live and work in the United States. The card itself is a government-issued plastic i.d. card that serves as proof of this permanent resident status in the United States. In size and format, it generally resembles a driver's license.

The official title of the card is "Permanent Resident Card" and as it so happens, the card is not green. The nickname may have come from the symbolic nature of the color green in the United States: Green has come to mean "go," as it does on a traffic light.

Beware: A green card is not citizenship. A green card can be revoked if a person does not maintain permanent residence in the United States, travels outside the country for too long, or breaks certain laws.

EAD (Employment Authorization Document). These may be issued to individuals with a Green Card application pending; those who are seeking asylum may have a temporary EAD.

Employment Authorization (from

U.S. employers must check to make sure all employees, regardless of citizenship or national origin, are allowed to work in the United States. If you are not a citizen or a lawful permanent resident, you may need to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) to prove you may work in the United States.

USCIS issues Employment Authorization Documents (EAD) in the following categories

  • EAD: This document proves you are allowed to work in the United States.
  • Renewal EAD: You should apply for a renewal EAD six months before your original EAD expires.
  • Replacement EAD: This document replaces a lost, stolen, or mutilated EAD. A replacement EAD also replaces an EAD that was issued with incorrect information such as a misspelled name.


These individuals do not need a permanent resident card (green card), EAD or visa to work in the U.S. They have a stamp on their passports. If they are in the U.S. for 1 year they can apply for a green card. Once they have a green card, in 5 years they can apply for citizenship. Once they have citizenship they have the right to petition to bring their family member(s)' mother/father/spouse/etc into the U.S.

In terms of providing vocational rehabilitation services, there is nothing we can do for undocumented immigrants.

Some Resources for Additional Information

Some other questions addressed at

Pages from Handbook for Employers Acrobat Reader (section 8)


Visas: [this section is being worked on - in the meantime, you can find information about work visas at Acrobat Reader

List A

Documents That Establish Both Identity and Employment Eligibility

  • U.S. Passport (un expired or expired)Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551) un expired foreign passport with temporary I-551 stamp. An un expired Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766, I-688, I-688A, I-688B).
  • Unexpired foreign passport with an unexpired Arrival-Departure record, Form I-94 bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien's non-immigrant status, if that status authorizes the alien to work for the employer.

Images of a U.S. Passport and a Permanent Resident Card (I-551)

Images of Resident Alien Card

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711