Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

NH Migrant Education Program

Home | Services | Get Involved | Contact Us | Español


Eligibility in the New Hampshire Migrant Education Program (NH MEP) is based on 5 factors: age, school completion, residential move, purpose of move, and qualifying work. Children and youth may receive services for 3 years after a qualifying move, until they have obtained a high school diploma or equivalent, or until their 22nd birthday.

Age: A child or youth must be 0-21 years of age to qualify. They are not eligible for services until their 3rd birthday and cease to be eligible after their 22nd birthday.

School Completion: A child or youth must also qualify for a public education under state law, and, therefore, cannot have earned a high school diploma or the equivalent.

Residential Move: A child or youth must have moved within the last 36 months (3 years). To be considered, the move must have been from one school district to another, involved a change of residence, and been motivated by economic necessity.

Purpose of Move: The move must have been to seek or obtain qualifying work, or to join or precede a guardian or spouse who has moved to seek or obtain qualifying work.

Qualifying Work: The work must be seasonal or temporary, and be related to agriculture or fishing. Qualifying work may pay in the form of wages or personal subsistence.

Personal Subsistence refers to consuming a large portion of the agricultural products they produce or fish they catch as food due to economic necessity.

Agricultural Work is defined as the initial processing of crops, dairy products, poultry, or livestock. The cultivation and harvesting of trees is also considered agricultural work.

Fishing Work is defined as the catching and initial processing of fish, as well as the raising and harvesting of fish on fish farms. Fish refers to all aquatic wildlife, including shellfish.

Please contact us if you think you may be eligible, would like to make a referral, or have any additional questions about eligibility. Visit the Services section to learn more information about what free services eligible students can receive.

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711