Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Professional Development | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork


What NH laws/administrative rules mandate immunizations for students?

RSA 141:1-C:20 a-c, RSA 200:38, He-P 301.13-15, and Ed 311.01 are the regulations that relate to immunizations.

Please note: That the most recent version of the law may not yet be posted.

May a school enroll a child if they are not up-to-date on their vaccinations?

Yes, the school can conditionally enroll the child if the parent or guardian can provide evidence of at least one dose of the required vaccine and documentation of an appointment date to receive the next dose. The date of the appointment may be considered a date of exclusion if the parent does not keep the appointment.

How does a student obtain religious exemption?

The parent may object to the immunizations on the grounds that it goes against their religious beliefs. If this is the case, the parent must sign a form, have it notarized, and provide it to the school. At the beginning of each year, the nurse should confirm that the parents still wish their child to be exempt. However, the parents do not need to redo the form each year.

Are there any other exemptions?

Yes, a parent may provide a letter from a licensed physician on letterhead that certifies that a particular immunization may be detrimental to the child's health. The exemption will last only for the length of time that the physician believes such immunization would be detrimental to the child. An exemption from one immunization does not affect other required immunizations.

What are the requirements for home-schooled children?

There are no state rules that require immunizations for home-schooled students. However, RSA 193:1-c states that the local school board may adopt a policy regulating participation in curricular courses and co-curricular programs (for example clubs, athletics, performing groups), as long as the policy is not more restrictive than the policy governing the school district's resident pupils. Therefore, the local school board may draft a policy that requires immunizations for those students that choose to participate in some of the programs of that the public school.

What about homeless students?

The McKinney-Vento Act requires that all homeless children be enrolled in school immediately to minimize the disruption to their lives. If possible, medical records can be requested from previous schools and/or primary care providers but children should not be kept from attending school while awaiting those records. If immunizations were not done, the initial doses should be administered as soon as possible. Again, the child cannot be kept from attending school while awaiting these immunizations except in the case of a disease outbreak as described below.

What do I do if there is a disease outbreak at my school and there are certain students that were exempted from immunization against that disease?

Those students cannot attend school during an outbreak of a disease for which there is a required immunization that they have opted not to receive. Remember that many diseases must be reported to DHHS. See the Communicable Disease Reportable Disease List Acrobat Reader for guidance.

What immunizations does NH require for school attendance?

For full information on the school requirements refer to the DHHSImmunization webpage at

Where can I find more information on immunizations?

Call the NH Department of Health and Human Services at (603) 271-4482 or check these sites:

May I provide immunization information to the NH Department of Health without parental consent?

Under FERPA, you must obtain parental consent before providing personally identifiable immunization records to anyone other than the parents or a school where the student is transferring. You may share deidentified immunization data with the Department of Health without parental release.

Schools must maintain immunization records for all students that are kept separate from the students' other medical and educational records for the purpose of immunization record audit. Each year school officials must determine the number of students that are up-to-date with their immunizations, the number of those conditionally enrolled, the number of exempted students and the total number of students in the school. These results must be provided to the Department of Health by November 15.

The family has little money, is there a way they can get low cost immunizations?

The Department of Health and Human Services provides a list of free vaccines for children in NH.

List of community health centers Acrobat Reader that provide services on a sliding scale.

The NH Department of Health and Human Services may be able to help the family access medical or other assistance, (603) 271-4238.

Acrobat Reader Symbol Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe

New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711