For Immediate Release
Date: July 02, 2018


Tony Schinella, Communications Director
(603) 271-0448 |

Scholarships Available For Orphans Of Veterans

State law allows students to apply for free tuition at state colleges and universities as well as money for books, supplies, and board.

CONCORD – Officials at the New Hampshire Department of Education would like the public to know that there are scholarships available for orphans of veterans – and have been for many years. Children of veterans that lost their lives in wars and are also residents of the state can obtain free tuition to the University System of New Hampshire colleges and universities and the Community College System of New Hampshire. There is also a stipend of up to $2,500 that can be contributed to the payment of room rent, board, books, and supplies.

The original law – RSA 193 – was approved in 1943, and allowed for children of soldiers who lost their lives in World War II, between the ages of 16 and 25, to apply for a $2,500 benefit each year, for four years, to lower the cost of attending college. In subsequent years, the program was expanded to include the children of Korean, Vietnam, and Gulf War veterans who lost their lives as well as military actions in any period for which the armed forces expeditionary medal or theater of operations service medal was awarded. In 1981, RSA 187 was updated to allow orphaned children of veterans to enroll in a state school free of charge.

According to Michael Seidel, the director of the NH DOE’s Division of Higher Education, so far this year, no one has applied for the free tuition scholarships; only five students have applied for the stipend scholarship.

For more information about the application process and records needed to qualify, contact Patricia Edes at the Division of Higher Education, 101 Pleasant St., Concord, NH 03301 or contact her via email at