Dept of Education Logo
Dept of Education Logo
Home | About Us | Accountability/Assessment | Certification | Data Collection & Reports | Innovations | Legislation/Hearings/Rules | NH Schools | Employment Opportunities | Contact Us | Search | Calendar
Department of Education - an official New Hampshire Government website
Smaller text size Reset text size Larger text size
skip navigation
students artwork

Seeking applicants for Scholarships for Orphans of Veterans

Funds available for children of fallen service members

CONCORD- The New Hampshire Department of Education and New Hampshire Adjutant General’s Office are seeking applicants for Scholarships for Orphans of Veterans. The program, first established by the Legislature in 1943, provides $2,500 scholarships to children of New Hampshire service members who died on active duty or of service-connected disabilities.

“We can never repay the families of fallen veterans for their sacrifice, but these scholarships are a small way that the people of New Hampshire can show our gratitude,” said Education Commissioner Frank Edelblut. “We encourage children of fallen service members attending or planning to attend a New Hampshire public college to apply for these scholarships.”

The funds are to be used for room, board, books, and supplies at New Hampshire public colleges and universities. Since 1981, the Legislature has also allowed qualified children of fallen veterans to receive free tuition through the University System of New Hampshire and Community College System of New Hampshire.

"It's a small, but significant gesture from a state that has always cared deeply for its veteran community," said Maj. Gen. David Mikolaities, Adjutant General of the New Hampshire National Guard. "Through this scholarship program, we are able to help college-bound children of service members who died in the line of duty in a meaningful way. We also ensure their sacrifices are honored and never forgotten."

For more information about the application process and records needed to qualify, contact Patricia Edes at the Division of Higher Education via email at or click


New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street | Concord, NH | 03301-3494
Telephone: (603) 271-3494 | TDD Access: Relay NH 711