National Youth Science Camp
Delegates to the National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) represent the highest levels of academic achievement in science and mathematics. Each year, the governor of West Virginia invites the governor of every other state to initiate a process to select two delegates to attend the NYSC as his/her state's delegation. In New Hampshire each high school may submit one candidate.
The National Youth Science Camp (NYSC) is a residential science education program that honors and challenges two graduating high school science students from each state. Scientists from across the nation present lectures and hands-on science seminars and linger to interact informally with student delegates.
Delegates are challenged to explore new areas in the biological and physical sciences, art, and music with resident staff members. Opportunities are provided for delegates to present seminars covering their own areas of interest and research. A visit to Washington D.C. permits delegates to visit some of the nation’s premier scientific, governmental, and cultural facilities.
The NYSC experience includes overnight excursions into the Monongahela National Forest featuring backpacking, rock-climbing, caving, mountain biking, and kayaking opportunities. Delegates are required to participate in the camp program for its entirety.
The NYSC is an all-expenses-paid program held from the middle of June through the middle of July. Applicants must commit to attend the entire camp. The National Youth Science Foundation will arrange round trip transportation from an airport near the delegate's home to Charleston, West Virginia. Incidental expenses are not covered.
- Must be candidates for high school graduation between July 1, 2019, and June 30, 2020;
- Must demonstrate superior academic proficiency, including recognition in mathematics and/or the sciences;
- Must demonstrate an application of leadership abilities and social maturity through involvement in both school and community activities;
- Must demonstrate skills and achievements outside the realm of science and outside the realm of academic pursuits; and
- Must demonstrate a curiosity and an eagerness to explore many and varied topics.
More information can be found on the NYSCamp website.