Adult Education Mathematics Library
Mathematics resources for Adult Educators.
Mini Grants, Lesson Plans, & Publications
- G28 -It's All About the HiSET
- D35 – Project Oriented Math Course
- G12 ABE and GED Mathematics Activities, Lessons, and Student Worksheets
- G27 Unpacking the Math HiSET Test part 1
- G27 Unpacking the Math HiSET Test part 2
- G25 Pi-Day Fun
- G14 Formula Answer Key
- G14 Formula Handbook
- Getting Started with Algebra – Activities and Worksheets
- The New Hampshire Adult Education Mathematics Guidebook
- LINCS Website – Create a free account to have full access including group discussions and self-paced online professional development classes
- LINCS Communities – Participate in online discussions with other adult educators – divided by subject area.
- LINCS Learner Portal – Portal to learning sites useful for adult education students and teachers.
- Region 1 Professional Development Center news
- Tech Tips for Teachers blog
The HiSET Exam
- https://hiset.ets.org/test-takers for test takers – This link for test takers includes resources, test preparation information, and practice. CBAL Quick Math helps with basic skills, and a Khan Academy list of applicable videos is available.
- https://hiset.ets.org/tcs-ae for educators – HiSET information and resources for educators.
The Accuplacer Exam
- https://www.accuplacer.org/ – Information and practice for the Community College Accuplacer Test. A free APP is also available.
Math Lesson Plans, Videos, & Resources
- www.learnzillion.com – Learn Zillion is a learning platform that combines video lessons, interactive lessons, printable practice worksheets, lesson slides, lesson commentary and guided practice. A Common Core navigator is available; click on a standard and be directed to lessons, video instruction, and practice.
- www.tv411.org/math – TV 411 is an excellent website designed for adult education students. Short and interesting videos as well as interactive web lessons and worksheets on a variety of math topics are available for free. The videos really help students see how math is applied to real life in a fun way. Highly recommended!
- www.pbslearningmedia.org – Hundreds of math videos, lessons, interactive activities and support materials. You can search by grade or topic and match to Common Core standards and a student view is available.
- www.illustrativemathematics.org – Find illustrative tasks and other resources for each math standard. Find videos and tasks illustrating the progression of mathematical topics.
- www.khanacademy.org – Ask a question and find a video explanation and interactive activities. Set up a simple, free account to track learning, helpful for both students and teachers to develop math skills.
- www.teachingimage.com – Many free, printable math worksheets. Not your common math worksheets; most have a visual component. Topics include whole numbers, fractions, and percents.
- http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html – National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- https://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/lperez/algebra2go/ Algebra2Go – This site includes free video lectures, worksheets, quizzes, study guides, class notes, and web tools. All these resources are free thanks to the support of Saddleback College, the California Basic Skills Initiative, and the Saddleback College Foundation.
- www.Shodor.org– This site includes online activities for teachers to use with students. The mission of Shodor.org is to improve math and science education through the effective use of modeling and simulation technologies.
- www.Desmos.com – Graph functions, plot data, evaluate equations, explore transformations, and much more – for free!
- www.teacherspayteachers.com – Teachers Pay Teachers is a community of millions of educators who come together to share their work, their insights, and their inspiration with one another. It’s the largest open marketplace where teachers share, sell, and buy original educational resources. Many are free.
- www.Pinterest.com – Search for your math topic and find hundreds of ideas and blogs.
- www.worksheetworks.com – Customize worksheets using a worksheet generator and create PDF worksheets with answers. Some topics include good problem solving worksheets.
- www.math-drills.com – Generate hundreds of worksheets on different topics including algebra, geometry, order of operations and integers with answers included. Because the difficulty of each worksheet can be controlled, this site would be especially useful for multilevel classrooms
- www.math-aids.com – This site contains 90+ different math topics.The math worksheets are randomly generated. This allows you to make and customize an unlimited number of printable math worksheets to your specifications instantly.
- www.CommonCoreSheets.com – Printable multilevel worksheets aligned with common core standards
Student Math Website Recommendations
- www.tv411.org/math – Videos, web lessons, and interactive activities on different math topic. This site is designed for adult students, is free, and has no ads.
- www.aaamath.com – Select a math SUBJECT (not grade) and find instruction, practice, and games on many different math topics and levels.
- www.aplusmath.com – This site has flashcards and games for whole numbers, fractions, geometry and algebra. Create your own worksheets to complete on line
- www.ixl.com/math – Provides unlimited interactive practice on a lot of math topics. If you get a question wrong, an explanation is provided. Ignore the listed grade levels and focus on the skill you want to practice.
- www.mathisfun.com – Be sure to choose a math SUBJECT and not a grade.Good explanations are provided followed by practice and answers. Practice skills using. puzzles and games.
- www.gcflearnfree.org – An ad free nonprofit learning website designed for adults. Click on math and choose from topics such as percent and algebra. Includes instruction, videos, games, and interactive practice.
- www.mathplayground.com – Provides math instruction on many different topics. Practice math skills through a variety of games without ads.Videos and interactive activities included.
- www.khanacademy.org – Video instruction on all math topics.
Books and Materials
- Active Math by Ruth Estabrook – An excellent variety of math activities written by our own former Mentor Teacher, Ruth Estabrook. Order it free at www.nhadulted.org. There are also other excellent mini-grant math projects available for download or order from the above website.
- Math for All Learners by Pam Meader and Judy Storer – Titles include Pre-Algebra and Geometry. Order from www.walch.com or other outlets such as Amazon.com.
- Common Core Basics: Mathematics – Building Essential Test Readiness Skills for High School Equivalency Exams by McGraw Hill. Order from www.mheonline.com.
- Contemporary Number Power, A Real World Approach to Math – This series includes topics such as: Pre-Algebra, Word Problems, Analyzing Data, and Measurement. Order the latest editions (2011+) from www.mheonline.com.
- Math Sense: Focus on Operations, Focus on Problem Solving, Focus on Analysis – Math for the High School Equivalency Tests. Order the 2015 edition of this three book series from www.newreaderspress.com.
- Scoreboost Mathematics/ Decimals, Fractions, Proportions, and Percent
- Scoreboost Mathematics/Measurement and Data Analysis
- Scoreboost Mathematics/Algebra and Geometry – A series of three practice HiSET booklets by New Readers Press. Order the latest editions (2016) from www.newreaderspress.com.
- Math1: Whole Numbers, Decimals, Fractions, Percents, and Measurement
- Math 2: Algebraic Thinking, Data Analysis, and Probability – A series of two Pre-High School Equivalency booklets by New Readers Press. Order from www.newreaderspress.com.
- The Official Guide to the HiSET Exam Second Edition – This is the only official ETS sanctioned book so far. Order from McGraw Hill at www.mheonline.com or other outlets such as www.amazon.com.