Lexile and Quantile Measures in New Hampshire
With Lexile and Quantile measures, educators and parents can spur and support student learning
- Getting Started with the Lexile® and Quanitile® Hub Quick Start Guide
- MetaMetrics Virtual Office Hours Flyer
- See Professional Learning Opportunities for Lexile & Quantile Training Sessions
Lexile® and Quantile® Measures in New Hampshire
The Lexile Framework® for Reading, commonly referred to as the Lexile Framework, has been linked with the New Hampshire Statewide Assessment System (NH SAS) in English language arts for grades 3-8. Similarly, the Quantile Framework® for Mathematics has been linked with the NH SAS for grades 3-8. Students in New Hampshire may also receive Lexile and Quantile measures from a variety of different tests and programs used by local school districts. With Lexile and Quantile measures, educators and parents can spur and support student learning.
What is a Lexile Measure?
There are two types of Lexile measures: Lexile reader measures and Lexile text measures. Lexile reader measures describes the reading ability of a student. Lexile text measures describes the difficulty or complexity of a text, i.e., a book or magazine article. Lexile measures are expressed as numbers followed by an “L” (for example, 850L) and represent a position on the Lexile scale. Comparing a student’s Lexile measure with the Lexile measure of what they are reading helps gauge the “fit” between a student’s ability and the difficulty of text.
What Is a Quantile Measure?
Similar to Lexile measures, there are two types of Quantile measures: a measure for students and a measure for mathematical skills and concepts. The student measure describes what mathematics the student likely already understands and what the student is ready to learn in the future. The skill measure describes the difficulty, or demand, in learning the skill. Quantile measures help educators and parents target instruction and monitor student growth toward learning standards and the mathematical demands of college and careers.
Lexile® & Quantile® Hub
The Lexile and Quanitile Hub is an online platform that provides educators, parents and students with easy access to reading and math tools. To access free tools and resources, please visit the Lexile & Quantile Hub.
Lexile Tools and Resources include: Find a Book, Analyzer, Growth Planner, Word Lists, Career Database, Grade Level Charts and Measures Manager
Quantile Tools and Resources include: Find Your Lesson, [email protected], Math Skills Database, Teacher Assistant, Career Database, Measures Manager, Growth Planner, Grade Level Charts and Summer Math Challenge
Additional Lexile and Quantile Tools and Resources
- Lexile® Infographic - Everything you need to know about the Lexile® Framework for Reading
- Quantile® Infographic - Everything you need to know about the Quantile® Framework for Mathematics
- NHew LINK - New Hampshire students, parents and educators have access to NHew LINK. This database contains online newspapers and magazines to match students' Lexile ranges.
- Lexile® Map - Provides examples of popular books and sample texts on the Lexile scale ranging from 200L for beginning reader books to 1,600L for more advanced texts. It's a quick reference guide that helps to show what a Lexile measure represents.
- Quantile® Map - Provides a graphic representation of example mathematical skills and concepts and its Quantile measures. Access communications resources including the Quantile parent guide, educator guide, Quantile map and Quantile infographic at quantiles.com/educator-resources and quantiles.com/parent-resources
- Lexile® Measures at Home - Contains topics and links that detail ways to use a child's Lexile measure to foster literacy and learning at home.
- Summer Reading - Improve reading during the summer months. Access communication resources including the Lexile parent guide, educator guide, librarian guide, Lexile map, Lexile infographic and video at lexile.com/educator-resources and lexile.com/parent-resources