Kindergarten Tool Kit
Resources, tutorials, and links for kindergarten educators and communities considering full-day kindergarten.
In 2018, the state of New Hampshire amended RSA 193-E:2-a, the Substantive Educational Content of an Adequate Education law. The amendment, HB 1499, added a provision specific to the course content and teaching of kindergarten, which is structured upon a play-based model. The new section of the law states:
"Instruction in support of kindergarten standards shall be engaging and shall foster children's development and learning in all domains including physical, social, cognitive, and language. Educators shall create a learning environment that facilitates high quality, child-directed experiences based upon early childhood best teaching practices and play-based learning that comprise movement, creative expression, exploration, socialization, and music. Educators shall develop literacy through guided reading and shall provide unstructured time for the discovery of each child's individual talents, abilities, and needs."
In late August 2018, Dr. Kimberly Nesbitt, an assistant professor in the Department of Human Development and Family Studies at the University of New Hampshire, held two workshops with educators at the NH DOE to discuss instructional strategies and tools before the beginning of the new school year starts.
Resources for Teachers, Curriculum Instructors, and Administrators
- Dr. Nesbitt's presentation on instructional strategies and tools for play-based kindergarten
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 1: Reflect on Your Practice and Know the Law (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 2: What is Play-Based Learning? (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 3: Free-Play and Child-Directed Free-Play (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 4: Guided Play and Mutually-Directed Guided Play (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 5: Teacher Guided Play (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop Part 6: Teaching Strategies (YouTube video)
- Dr. Nesbitt's workshop, Part 7: Social Involvement and Resources (YouTube video)
- Kindergarten Classroom Setup Strategies from ResponsiveClassroom.org
Kindergarten Readiness and Transitions
- Kindergarten Entry Assessment and Transition Practice (Final Report December 2020-December 2021)
- What is Kindergarten Readiness?
- Pre-kindergarten to Kindergarten Transition Guidance
- Preparing Your Child for Kindergarten
- Supporting Your Child as They Enter Kindergarten
- Play Based Learning
Full-Day Kindergarten Toolkit
The following resources are provided to communities as they begin conversations about full-day kindergarten (FDK).
- Districts With Full-Day Kindergarten
Data on where full-day kindergarten programs are operating in the state.
- Why it Matters
A publication about the time children spend engaged in learning has significant impact that can't be replicated.
- Everyone Benefits
A brochure insert (tri-fold) that can be tailored to your community including adding your own front cover for your school.
- Kindergarten CCSS Mathematics
This publication provides documentation to support that the Common Core Standards are written for full day kindergarten programs.
Play-based Learning Coordinator
Office (603) 862-2835
NHDOE/UNH PDG Administrative Consultant
Cell (978) 420-2164