Skip to main content
scroll to top

Home Education

Home Education is an alternative to attendance at a public or private school and is an individualized form of instruction in accordance with Chapter 279:2, laws of 1990.

How to Enroll your Child in Home Education

A parent is eligible under the Administrative Rules, Ed 315 to establish a home education program for a child between 6 and 18 years of age including an "educationally disabled child" as defined under RSA 186-C:2,I, provided that the definition of "educationally disabled child" as defined under RSA 186-C:2,I, for the purposes of Ed 315, shall be applicable only to children between 6 and 18 years of age.

Step 1: Notify a participating agency that you intend to enroll your child in a home education program.  The participating agency may be the Commissioner of Education, the Superintendent of your local school district, or the Head of a nonpublic school. 

For your convenience, the following notification form may be used:

Notification of Home Education Program

Step 2: If the student is currently enrolled in a public school, the parent must inform the school that their child is starting a home education program and is withdrawing from the public school.

For Higher Education Admission and Financial Aid Administrators:

New Hampshire homeschooling law neither requires nor provides a secondary school completion credential for resident homeschooled students.

New Hampshire homeschooled students satisfy academic and eligibility requirements set forth in the Higher Education Act and the Federal Student Aid Handbook, Volume 1, Chapter 1, by providing self-certification of secondary school completion through home education as defined by New Hampshire law, RSA-193-A.

For NH Home Education Parents and Students:

Under federal law, NH homeschooled students can self-certify that he/she has completed high school through homeschooling in order to be eligible for Federal Student Aid (FSA) funds.

See Sample Self Certification Form



Shireen Meskoob
Program Specialist
(603) 271-2831