Division of Educator Support and Higher Education

The Division of Educator Support and Higher Education oversees licensing for all New Hampshire educators, provides transcripts for now-closed colleges, provides oversight of postsecondary educator preparation programs, approves postsecondary institutions to accept VA funds, licenses career schools, and coordinates the Higher Education Commission which oversees private and out-of-state institutions of higher education serving New Hampshire students.

About the Division

Bureau of Credentialing

The New Hampshire Department of Education Bureau of Credentialing administers established rules to evaluate the applications of candidates for a credential.

Bureau of Educator Preparation and Higher Education

The purpose of professional educator preparation program approval is to ensure that all future educators in New Hampshire are highly qualified and well prepared to serve all students effectively.

Closed School Transcripts

The Department of Education provides transcripts to students who attended NH schools (colleges/universities/career schools) that are no longer in operation, as well as education verification information to background check agencies.

Criminal History Record Check Clearance

Criminal History Record Check Clearances are currently required for School Bus Drivers/Transportation Monitors.

Higher Education in NH

The Division of Educator Support and Higher Education provides administrative support to the Higher Education Commission (HEC). The Division does not provide financial aid and relies upon its partners for this support. The Division also provides oversight of private postsecondary institutions and Veterans State Approvals for all educational programs

Distance Education Requirements

Higher Education Commission


Sexual Misconduct at Higher Education Institutions (RSA 188-H)

Office of Career School Licensing

Regulates and licenses private, postsecondary career schools, including schools, businesses, and other educational entities that provide education or training that enhances a person’s occupational skills. Examples include, but are not limited to, areas of training listed in the career school directory

Scholarships for Orphans of Veterans

This program, first established by the Legislature in 1943, provides $2,500 scholarships to children of New Hampshire service members who died on active duty or of service-connected disabilities to attend New Hampshire public colleges and universities.

Veterans Program Approval

The New Hampshire Department of Education has been designated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to approve and regulate programs for eligible veterans and beneficiaries utilizing their GI Bill benefits.


Stephen Appleby
Division Director

Information Icon

Construction Notice

Construction Notice

Due to construction,  as of August 16th, 2021 the New Hampshire Department of Education’s Division of Educator Support and Higher Education office will be relocated to 25 Hall Street, Concord, NH.  All operations will continue as usual.

Our USPS mailing address remains 101 Pleasant Street, Concord, NH 03301.

Carrier deliveries (FedEx, UPS, etc) must be addressed to 25 Hall Street, 3rd Floor, Concord, NH 03301.