The purpose of professional educator preparation program approval is to ensure that all future educators in New Hampshire are highly qualified and well prepared to serve all students effectively. Preparation programs utilize data on their students’ preparedness for professional practice and other essential indicators for continuous program improvement.
Twelve institutions of Higher Education in New Hampshire each offer one or more approved professional educator preparation programs.
The New Hampshire Department of Education is seeking program reviewers to serve on an upcoming assessment team at one of New Hampshire's 12 institutions that prepare professional educators. Those who conduct reviews of educator preparation programs are experienced and certified P-12 educators or post-secondary educators who prepare future educators in the program areas being assessed. Reviewers will be expected to volunteer their services and will earn up to 40 CEUs. Program reviewers indicate that reviewing preparation programs had been a highly rewarding and a significant professional development experience. Those interested in serving as a program reviewer should complete the attached application and return as directed with a current resume.
Administrative Rules for Program Approval
An administrative "rule" is defined as a regulation or standard adopted by an agency to implement or make specific a law enforced or administered by the agency; or interpret a procedure or practice requirement binding on persons outside the agency. Rules shall be valid and binding on persons they affect, and shall have the force of law unless amended or revised.
Rulemaking is therefore lawmaking, in areas which the legislature has decided are too specific or too detailed to be handled by legislation.
- Ed 600 Approval of Professional Preparation Programs
- Orientation to Professional Educator Program Approval
Council for Teacher Education
The program approval process is advised by the New Hampshire Council for Teacher Education (CTE). For every program approval site visit, two CTE members serve as co-chairs for the review team that conducts the visit.
Manuals and Related Materials for IHEs
- Memorandum of Understanding Template
- New Program Review Request Form (May 2018)
- Onsite Review Request Form (May 2018)
- Substantive Change Request Form (July 2020)
Site Visit Documents
Program Review Matrices
- Program Self-Assessment Matrices (currently unavailable, please check back soon)
- Program Reviewer Assessment Matrices (currently unavailable, please check back soon)
Resources for IHEs
- ETS Data Manager for The Praxis Series Tests
- IHE Network - The IHE Network is a collaborative of the 12 teacher preparation programs in New Hampshire. After years of informal partnering, collaborating, and exchanging of information.
Laura A. Stoneking
Division of Educator Support and Higher Education
New Hampshire Department of Education
101 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301-3852
(603) 271-4196 TDD Access: Relay NH 711