High School Equivalency Testing for Students 16 and 17 Years of Age

On July 1, 2009, the New Hampshire compulsory school age changed from 16 to 18. The process for seeking permission to take High School Equivalency Tests before the age of 18 also changed.

Students 16 and 17 years old are required to have an approved waiver to the age requirement in order to be able to take the HiSET Test.

The student will need to complete the following steps:

  1. Consult with your school counselor and your parents to see if the HiSET Exam is an appropriate option for you.
  2. Establish an online HiSet account
  3. Make sure that the name and address of your HiSET registration matches your government issued photo ID
  4. Be sure to write down your HiSET ID#, you will need this for the waiver form.
  5. Complete the Request to Waive the Age Requirement Form by following the instructions .
    1. Take the Official Practice Test (check with your school to see if they offer the test or if you need to schedule an appointment at a local Testing Center)
      • You must score a Prepared or Well Prepared for approval.
      • You may submit a waiver form for one subtest at a time.
    2. Get permission from your school district
    3. Get permission from your parent/guardian
  6. Mail the completed form to:
    High School Equivalency Office
    Bureau of Adult Education
    21 South Fruit Street, Suite 20
    Concord, NH 03301
    Or Fax to: (603) 271-3454
  7. You will be notified via email when your waiver is approved.
  8. Go into your HiSET account to schedule and pay for your test.
  9. When you have successfully complete the entire exam, the Bureau of Adult Education will send a High School Equivalency Certificate to the address on your HiSET account.


Home School Students

Home schooled students sometimes take the high school equivalency exam as a way to demonstrate a high school credential for colleges or employers. A home schooled student who is 18 or older may register and schedule testing without restrictions.

A home schooled student who is 16 or 17 must have an approved waiver to the age requirement on file prior to testing including permission from the  agency (referred to as the “participating agency” that was originally informed of the intent to homeschool by the parent. Generally, this is the local Superintendent’s office, the school district,a private school or the NH Department of Education.

Home school students should consult with the participating agency to determine if any additional requirements apply.


Incarcerated/Institutionalized Youth

  • Students, aged 16 or 17, residing in a correctional or other institutional setting should consult with the Education Director, a guidance counselor or a school liaison from their originating district for additional requirements.