Complaints and Concerns

Members of the public who would like to contact a representative from the New Hampshire Department of Education to voice a concern or complaint are encouraged to find the appropriate staff member on this webpage.

Appeals and Mediation

Educator Misconduct

Education professionals that are licensed by the New Hampshire State Board of Education operate with a Code of Ethics and Code of Conduct that make explicit the values and standards that New Hampshire educators have exemplified over the years. Individuals who believe that a licensed educator has violated the Code of Conduct may file a complaint by email to Richard Farrell at

Special Education Complaint

Special education students are afforded protections under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and state law. Parents and caregivers, or others who believe such protections have not been complied with may contact

Americans with Disabilities 504 Complaint

Students with federally recognized disabilities under the American with Disabilities Act section 504 plan may file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.

Complaint of Discrimination

Schools are prohibited from teaching that one identified group (a group based upon: age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, creed, color, marital status, familial status, mental or physical disability, religion or national origin) is:

  1. Inherently superior or inferior to people of another identified group;
  2. Inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive, whether consciously or unconsciously;
  3. Should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment; or
  4. Should not treat members of other identified groups equally.

Parents, students and teachers who feel that these discriminatory practices have not been followed may file a complaint here: Right to Freedom from Discrimination in Public Workplaces and Education.

Higher Education Complaints

Federal regulations require that each state have a process to review and appropriately act upon three types of student complaints in higher education: consumer protection, approval/licensure, and quality of education. Such complaints can be filed here: Higher Education in New Hampshire.

Bullying and/or Cyber-Bullying

Stephen Berwick,

Colleges and Universities

Stephen Appleby,

COVID Policies

Please contact your SAU’s Superintendent and/or local school board. If you have already contacted your local SAU office and school board and are dissatisfied with their response, please contact New Hampshire COVID-19 Response.

DOE Employees

Angela Kane,

School Facility Safety

Amy Clark,

General Complaints

Parents, teachers, students and community members may have other concerns that they want to bring to the attention of the department. Those complaints can be filed by contacting Stephen Berwick via email at