NH High School Equivalency

The High School Equivalency Testing (HiSET) Program gives adults and certain youth an opportunity to demonstrate their academic skills and to earn the New Hampshire High School Equivalency Certificate.

Student Registration

  • If you are under 18, see Underage Youth
  • If you are home schooled, see Home Schooled Applicants
  • Establish an online HiSET® account using your email address.
  • Make sure that the name and address of your HiSET® registration matches your government issued photo ID.
  • Be sure to write down your HiSET® ID#. You will need this information to schedule your test and to see your scores
  • Choose a testing location and date
  • Pay your test online using a credit card, Paypal or voucher
  • If you have a disability and need accommodations, see Special Accommodations

Registration Resources:

Test Delivery

  • The test is available in a paper-based format (PBT) and a computer-based format (CBT). Some test centers offer both formats, some test centers only offer paper-based testing.
  • The cost for each subtest (paper-based or computer-based) is $25.00.
  • PBT and CBT scores may be combined.
  • As of January 18, 2021, At Home Testing is available for test-takers who are at least 18 years of age.
    • There is an additional fee of $17.50 per subtest for remote proctoring.
    • Test takers should be aware that the remote test session will be video recorded by a 3rd party and artificial intelligence will be used to ensure test security.
  • For more information, please see At Home Testing


The first time you take a subtest, the total amount you will pay is $25 which includes both the ETS Testing Fees and the State Fees.

If you have to retake a test within 12 months of the original test date, the cost will lower.

For Paper-Based Tests

  • First test is $25
  • Retakes are $10

For Computer-Based Tests

  • First test is $25
  • Retakes are $14.25

School districts, employers and civic organizations interested in paying the fees for test takers may purchase vouchers from ETS

Test Information

  • Content - 5 subjects
  • Writing - 2 hours
  • Math - 90 minutes, calculator allowed for all
  • Science - 80 minutes
  • Social Studies - 70 minutes
  • Reading - 65 minutes
  • Scores from tests in all years can be combined
  • Spanish and English versions are available; scores may be combined between the two.

Test Preparation

  • A number of resources are available on the HiSET website.
  • HiSET preparation books, e-books, and study guides are available through a number of publishers.

Practice Tests

Passing Requirements

  • Scores will be reported on a scale of 0 to 20 for each of the five sub-tests. Passing will require a total of 45 (average of 9) with no individual subject score below 8.
  • To pass, the candidate must also receive a minimum of a 2 out of 6 on the essay.
  • Three forms will be available, so students may take two re-tests in a calendar year

High School Equivalency Transcripts


If you have earned a NH High School Equivalency Certificate by passing the GED Test or the HiSET Test (beginning in 2014), you may request an official High School Equivalency Transcript. There is a fee of $10.00 for each official transcript.

Send $10.00, a check or money order made payable to the State of New Hampshire, and a completed High School Equivalency Transcript Request form to the address below:

High School Equivalency Testing Program
NH Department of Education
Bureau of Adult Education
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 20
Concord, NH 03301

We must receive your original signature on the request as well as your fee. We are not able to accept requests by fax or email. Your transcript will be mailed to the address you designate. It will be processed within one to two business days of receipt.

Click here for a copy of the High School Equivalency Transcript Request Form

If you have passed the HiSET Test, you may print an unofficial transcript from the ETS Portal.

Verification Requests

If you are an employer, a post-secondary institution, military recruiter or other party needing to verify that an individual has earned a NH high school equivalency certificate, you must fax or mail a signed release of education records from the individual.

The request should contain the following information:

  • The individual’s full name at time of testing
  • The individual’s date of birth
  • An approximate date of the high school equivalency certificate
  • The location of the testing center

Failure to provide the correct information and/or a signed release form may result in a delay in returning the verification.

The Bureau is not able to accept emailed or electronic requests.

Mail to:

High School Equivalency Office
Bureau of Adult Education
21 South Fruit Street, Suite 20
Concord, NH 03301
Fax to: (603) 271-3454