ACCESS, Alternate ACCESS and WIDA Screener for English Learners
English learners (ELs) Kindergarten - Grade 12 are required annually to take either the ACCESS or Alternate ACCESS for ELs. Initial EL eligibility is determined through administration of the WIDA Screener, an English language proficiency assessment.
ACCESS for ELs
ACCESS is taken annually by English learners in Kindergarten – Grade 12. The test measures annual progress towards development of English language proficiency.
ACCESS Testing Window: February 1 - March 22, 2024
Program Coordinator/Educator Resources
- Preparing for ACCESS Testing - Key information for educators, students and families.
- ACCESS Test Practice & Sample Items - ACCESS online & ACCESS paper.
- ACCESS for ELs Scores & Reports - Sample score reports, interpretive guides and other resources.
The scoring appeal process allows NHED to address any claims of perceived scoring inaccuracy from LEAs in one or more areas of a student's individual score report; or a miscalculation of a student's overall composite score.
The Scoring Appeal Window for the 2023 ACCESS is open now until September 15, 2023. Please use the guidance in the Technical Assistance: Documenting Special Situations During Statewide Assessments to submit completed appeal. Please review Scoring Appeal Request information.
Alternate ACCESS for ELs
The Alternate ACCESS is available for students with the most significant cognitive disabilities.
- Accessibility and Accommodations Manual 2023-2024 - Appendix D contains the WIDA accommodation checklists updated with minor changes.
- Alternate ACCESS Field Test: 2022-23 - During the 2023 testing window, all schools administering the Alternate ACCESS will be required to participate in field testing. Learn more about this one-time, paper-based field test for all multilingual learners with the most significant cognitive disabilities in Grades K–12 by visiting the WIDA field test webpage or by reviewing NHED TA Guidance below.
- What is ACCESS for ELs? Family handout available in multiple languages.
Exit and Reclassification of English learners
- EL Reclassification & Exit Criteria - An overview of the criteria set in NH for EL student to exit EL status.
The WIDA Screener is the state approved English language proficiency assessment given to new students in grades K-12. The screener is used to measure a student's English language proficiency and to determine eligibility as an English language learner.
Additional resources for NH EL Educators and ACCESS Test Coordinators are available in the WIDA Secure Portal. If you don't have access to the Secure Portal, please request access through your district i4see coordinator.
- NHDOE Guidance-Identification and Placement of English Learners
- Accessibility and Accommodations Manual 2023-2024 - Appendix D contains accommodation checklists for all WIDA assessments.
- Technical Assistance Webinars 2021-22
- Requirements, Resources, Professional Development and Testing Dates
- WIDA Accommodations and Accessibility Supplement
- ACCESS for ELs 2.0 Interpretive Guide
- ACCESS for ELs 2.0 Technical Report
- ACCESS for ELs 2.0 Standard Setting Report
- ACCESS for ELs 2.0 Item Summary Reports: Speaking and Writing