ESOL K-12- English for Speakers of Other Languages
Support for students who speak other languages.
EL & Title III Program Newsletters
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- February 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- November 2021
- October 2021
- September 2021
English Language Proficiency (ELP) Standards and Assessments
New Hampshire uses the WIDA ELP standards and assessments and has approved the following WIDA screening tools for initial ELP identification.
All NH students identified as English learners must be assessed annually using the WIDA ACCESS or Alternate ACCESS test. Please visit our WIDA state specific page for more information.
New Hampshire Statewide Assessment System
All English Language Learning students are required to participate in the statewide assessment system for their grade. Please refer to the NHDOE Assessment Policy and Procedures Manual for more details.
A team of educators, which includes the school’s NH Certified ESOL teacher, must determine the accommodations for English Learners. Evidence of this decision making process must be maintained by the school and made available during assessment monitoring. An EL student’s level of English proficiency must be considered when determining accommodations for statewide assessments. Please refer to the Documentation of NH Statewide Assessment Accommodations for ELs.
ESOL Program Resources
- NHDOE Guidance-Identification and Placement of English Learners
- ESOL Placement Guidance
- EL Reclassification & Exit Criteria
State Approved Home Language Survey (HLS)
EL Data Maintenance in i4see, ESOL Database
- Required ESOL Data Submission Dates in i4see
- TA Guidance: ESOL Roster Updates in i4see
- Additional Technical Assistance: Recorded Webinars
Remote Learning Resources
- Provisional Guidance for Remote Screening of ELs (updated August 2020)
- Guidance—Supporting ELs During Remote Learning
If you are interested in additional funding for servicing your English Language Learning students, please see Title III for more information.
Professional Learning: Current & Ongoing Opportunities
- Subscribe to the NHDOE Statewide EL Educator’s Listserv for monthly updates
- Free WIDA Self-Paced eWorkshops open to all NH educators
- ExcEL Leadership Academy: Facilitated by UCLA Center X Northeast Region
State EL Advisory Committee (SELAC)
If you would like to be added to the statewide EL Educators listserv to receive EL related information, including detailed agendas in advance of the CoP meetings, please send an email request to Wendy Perron.
EL Education Consultant